A Brief History of Military MREs
The concept of Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) dates back to the days of military ration packs, where soldiers needed a source of sustenance that could be easily carried and consumed on the battlefield. With continuous advancements in technology and food science, the modern MRE was introduced in 1981 as the primary food ration for the United States Army.
Since then, military surplus MREs have become increasingly popular among civilians for various reasons such as emergency preparedness, camping, and outdoor activities. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the different aspects of military MREs, their flavors, and how to find the best deals when looking to purchase them.
Finding Quality Military Surplus MREs
When it comes to purchasing military MREs, there are several factors you need to consider to ensure you get authentic and high-quality products at competitive prices. Here are some tips to help you make an informed decision:
- Check the production date: It is important to check the manufacturing date of the MRE to ensure its freshness and taste quality. While these meals have a long shelf life, older stock may not taste as good as recent productions.
- Source from reputable suppliers: Ensure that you buy your MREs from trusted sources or authorized dealers who guarantee the quality and authenticity of their products. Beware of counterfeits and low-quality reproductions that may compromise your health and safety.
- Compare prices: Shopping around and comparing prices can help you land a great deal without compromising on quality. Remember that the cheapest option may not always be the best, as it could indicate inferior quality or an expired product.
Understanding MRE Shelf Life and Storage Conditions
Military MREs have an incredibly long shelf life, with some lasting up to five years when stored under ideal conditions. The shelf life of an MRE depends on its storage temperature; the lower the temperature, the longer the shelf life. Here is a general guideline for MRE shelf life based on storage temperatures:
- 60°F (16°C): 60 months
- 70°F (21°C): 48 months
- 80°F (27°C): 36 months
- 90°F (32°C): 24 months
- 100°F (38°C): 18 months
To preserve the taste and nutritional value of your military MREs, it is recommended that you store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and humidity. Avoid storing them in attics, garages, or vehicle trunks where temperatures can fluctuate drastically.
Mouth-Watering Flavors of Military MREs
One of the things that set the military MREs apart from their civilian counterparts is their wide variety of flavors and meal options. From breakfast options like Maple Sausage to hearty dinner meals like Beef Stroganoff, there's something to satisfy every palate. Let's take a closer look at some popular military MRE flavors:
- Maple Sausage: This breakfast delight features a tasty maple-flavored sausage patty accompanied by crackers, apple jelly, and a chocolate protein drink.
- Apple Cinnamon First Strike Bar: A nutritious energy bar with the perfect blend of apple and cinnamon flavors, paired with a mocha cappuccino instant powder for that morning caffeine fix.
Lunch and Dinner Options
- Beef Stroganoff: A delicious combination of tender beef chunks and egg noodles in a savory mushroom sauce, served with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and orange beverage powder.
- Chili with Beans: Spice up your mealtime with this classic chili dish made with ground beef, red beans, and tomatoes in a zesty chili sauce, accompanied by cheese-filled pretzels and lemon-lime flavored electrolyte powder.
Desserts and Snacks
- Patriotic Sugar Cookies: Satisfy your sweet tooth with these star-shaped sugar cookies that are not only tasty but also show off your patriotic spirit.
- Cheese Spread with Jalapeños: Add some kick to your crackers or tortillas with this flavorful cheese spread infused with jalapeño peppers.
MREs: Not Just for Emergencies and Outdoor Adventures
While military MREs are commonly used for emergency preparedness and outdoor activities like camping, hiking, or hunting, they can also be a convenient option for everyday use. College students, busy professionals, or anyone looking for a quick and easy meal solution can benefit from having a stockpile of MREs on hand.
In summary, military MREs offer a wide range of delicious flavors and meal options, making them an excellent choice for various uses. By considering factors like quality, shelf life, storage conditions, and flavor preferences, you can find the best deals on military MREs for sale and enjoy a taste of military life anytime, anywhere.